Lectures, University of Helsinki, autumn 2021.
N.B. Due to the current restrictions, all lectures will take place online. Please follow this link: https://helsinki.zoom.us/j/69393822138 Please note that, in case of technical difficulties, updated links and instructions will also be made available on this page.
- Lectures 21 September – 21 October + readings
- One-page idea papers. Deadline 18 October. Upload to Moodle. Language: English. Format: PDF. Please find the section for Idea papers and read the instructions.
- Mini-seminar on idea papers 21 October; everyone reads all the papers for discussion.
- Mini-article of 1500–2000 words. Fixed deadline 15 November. Upload to Moodle. Language: English, Finnish or Swedish.
All materials will be made available on this page.
- Reading for Tuesday 28 September: van Dijck, J. (2013) The Culture of Connectivity: A Critical History of Social Media. Oxford University Press. Chapter 1: Engineering Sociality in a Culture of Connectivity. Available on Helka (N.B. new link).
- Reading for Tuesday 5 October: Jürgen Habermas (2006) ”Political Communication in Media Society: Does Democracy Still Enjoy an Epistemic Dimension? The Impact of Normative Theory on Empirical Research”. Communication Theory 16(4): 411-26.
- Reading for Thursday 21 October: Idea papers on Moodle.